Sunday, May 3, 2009

More Mind-numbing Blowing, due to Ultimate Frisbee

Nationals....right around the corner. And ultimate is driving me crazy.

Three more regionals going on, and I have an exam at 8 am, Monday morning. I'm worthless for a few more days.

Northwest Region....WTF!? UBC is not going? They looked super strong at Centex beating a super strong Wisconsin team in the 3rd place game. Oregon getting pwned by Washington in the crossover game 5-13, AND losing to Stanford in the semis? They did set themselves up nicely to take that third bid, with a pretty easy game vs. Humboldt State in the backdoor semis, while UBC had a more difficult game vs. California. That's some crazy stuff, from a crazy awesome region. I really wish they had four bids. If there was a cause to argue for an additional bid to a region, I think the pure strength of this region for sure is argument enough. I WISH that I could have seen these games....especially the 3rd place backdoor game. I told Martha it was my prime game I wish I could watch.

New England. I'm a little nervous to see how Dartmouth and Northeastern perform. To say the least, Dartmouth got smoked in the "upper tier" of Centex, where most of these nationals teams fit in. Northeastern got smoked 1-15 by Carleton. I wouldn't mind seeing these teams pull a few upsets, but I'm going to say that they finish towards the back of the pack.

Great Lakes: played out nearly how I had imagined. Other than Notre Dame winning out their pool over Northwestern quite handily. Michigan takes the 1, Illinois takes the 2. As long as it's not too windy, Michigan could place fairly high. Illinois is a personal fav of mine. If they play consistent, they have a shot too. From what I saw of them, they can be a little streaky, but when they're playing well, they're playing well and can hang with some ballin' teams.

Nationals discussions coming soon.

-Robyn

1 comment:

  1. oh robyn - are you going to watch - i want you there. i call robyn fenning. please move to texas with me

    ReplyDelete