Sunday, May 3, 2009

Ultimate Blows Martha's Mind.

Martha says:

Oh my God. I have way too much to do, and can only think about ultimate. I'm not even playing, but I have the need to constantly check score reporter or read rsd. It is still too soon to talk about our fourth place finish at regions. However, I have no problem discussing everyone elses. Seriously. SERIOUSLY. Ultimate is any one's frigging game, and as I watch scores and results being updated, it just proves it. Focusing quickly on the men's Great Lakes region, I have a small addiction towards the men's team at Illinois who took first in their region after being seeded fourth. Beating out Michigan (1) in a semi-final game12-9, going on to beat Ohio State in the finals 15-10 for the championship spot and a guaranteed spot at natties their second year in a row. Just, wow. Congratu-fucking-lations. Regional champs for the first time in six years. I love Illinois. Their women's team is playing sick I hear. I'm writing this before I know their final placement, but I am wishing them the best of luck.

Ok I lied. I'm going to briefly talk about our regionals. All in all, it was a spectacular weekend, and we played our hearts out. It was just not our day. Iowa State is a very strong team, (also full of sweethearts), and for some reason did not pull it out against them. Our first game against them ended up 10-11, extremely close. In the game to go, 9-12. We fought all weekend in pouring rain and wet/cold uniforms, with sick plays and grabs all around the field. Damn you Gibs and your ridiculous hammers to the endzone, and Jazz for your ridiculous 10 foot high layout. You give me jitters. Congratulations to Iowa State and I look forward to watching them at nationals. Next year..look out for SOL. I am a bit perturbed that SOL never got a chance to take on Carleton Syzygy. Regardless of who would have won or not. Our only chance was to play them in the fall at NoWisconsequences, where we did come out with a win; however, they brought a smaller team with maybe 9 players, and missing some awesome ones.

Off the field at regions, there is always a different story to be told. This weekend many players focused on the games ahead of us and made sure to stay well rested. Can I just mention that it is Sunday, one week after regionals, and I think I just became unsore yesterday. That's worse than Centex and Sectionals. Anyway, we stayed in a former EauZone players house 2 minutes from the fields. Nice place. Cole, Brit and I shared a king size bed. It was nice to drift off to sleep as Cole would read us "Oh The Place's You'll Go" by Dr. Suess, or a book called "The Meaning of Life", with lots of pictures of animals. How lovely. Tattoos were put on, movies were watched, stories were told, and pool was played. SOL played a motivating "game" on Saturday evening where everyone circled it up, and shut their eyes. Three people were in the middle, tapping other Solmates that best fit the description of a describing word from a previously written list. This activity is way cooler than it sounds, and brought our team very close and lots of laughs. Words like "best friend", "beautiful", "strong", "fashionable", "unforgettable", "studious", and tons of others were mentioned. You don't know who taps you, but you know someone on the team is thinking about you. :) I love my Solmates.

Tears fell in our huddle after the game. Mostly about how we all pulled it together that second half, but just not in time. We fought hard, but hey, it's over now. Next year. D3 is still in order to be discussed later in the week...

We all went our separate ways after the tournament, a few to my residence in Orono, MN, where grilled food and a hot tub was waiting. Going back to a busy end of the year with school SUCKS. It was nice to still see people coming to practice though. I still got to go to the caf, and play some ultimate. Oh, our frisbee formal was Friday evening. It was an awesome way to put closure on the men's and women's teams seasons. I'll stay out of the sloppy details, but I think hearing everyone devotions throughout the season brought back and made some of the best memories in ultimate ever. Awesome season Eau Claire!

Also, some members of cool squad went night fishing last night. SOL makes fire! But catches no fish..

Why am I writing this and not working on my paper/ad campaign/media plan book all due in the next two days? It's hard to say. I'll probably just blog more, I'm not really close to being done. Ultimate is awesome. You are awesome. Illinois is awesome!

Marfa

No comments:

Post a Comment