Thursday, April 2, 2009

In Georgia, We get Crazy.

Martha here, filling all you curious folk in on our Jekyll Island action on and off the field, known as a glorious celebration most might call Spring Break. After a rough week of class for most, Sol and our men's team EauZone congregate to form SOLZONE and jump into 8 vehicles and begin a 25 hour quest to Georgia. As each car competed for the best pictures and souvenirs on the way down, everyone seemed to be running into awkward, funny, and interesting situations. Robyn's car, consisting of herself, Brit, Dassow and Isaac somehow ended up in South fucking Carolina? Dassow's fault of course, thus the phrase "dassy downy" was born. Noone was more scared than Isaac. Their unnecessary route took us all for a loop, but somehow beat my car which arrived dead last. My vehicle was made up of Tim McNeal, his girlfriend Veronica, and the injured Chris McCrory and myself. Our disfunctional family barely made it to Jekyll Island alive. I colored for 7 HOURS on the way down. My little ponies. My coloring got worse as I went on. How does that happen??

Anyway, we arrive on Saturday afternoon to our two houses on the beach. They were sick. Most immediatley hit the beach and the booze pretty hard.. why everyone was so excited? It's hard to say. Instead of describing the evening, maybe a picture will sum it up. Making the coolest pyramid ever. There may have been some late night streaking on the beach. Hard to say. Sunday was a day to sleep in, do whatever the hell you wanted, until our scrimmage vs. Columbia at 2 pm. I just want to say that this was the first time we had played outdoor ultimate since October. I also must say, that we did pretty darn well. We practiced a lot of new strategies, while trying to maintain intensity in the 90 degree weather. The talk of this game had to be Cole's faceblocking of the disc. Which resulted in a a hideous black eye. Of course, she played out the point and even scored. Most bad-ass bookends in SOL history. After the intense scrimmage, we played out some fun games, myself winning WAH and the vegetable walk off of..shitake mushrooms..I believe. That evening led to more unexpected festivities. Isaac began entertaining the group of 38 with homemade epic songs. The most popular being "The High Fire Danger: The Ballad of Hib-Jib-Jib", with Robyn's bottle solo, and Brit's bomb dog kazoo solos. Robyn and Isaac decided have fun with Carlos. And sadly, this is what happens: SOL Boobies. Unfortunatley I can't fill you in on what I know about this evening.... It happens. I'm 98% positive that everyone had an above average time though.

OK so let the REAL ultimate begin. As we arrive at the foggy fields of Jekyll Island bright and early, SOL waits around trying to find a way to play in the hat tournament that we are not officially signed up for! With less than five minutes to game time, Robyn makes a shady cash transaction drug deal for a random bag of colored shirts. We giggle at the hilarity of what happened, and quickly scatter to our respective teams. Cole and myself were placed on the same team, pepto bismal was our team name we created, playing accordingly off of our azalea pink shirts. "Heartburn, naseau, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!" was the pump up cheer for our team. Great times. Some UNH men on our team were kind enough to invite Cole and I to their house a few blocks down to swim in their pool for our two hour bye. We were greeted by a palm tree full of empty beer cans, a pool swarming with floating schools of beer, and two lawn flamingos that honestly looked like they were doin it. My I'm glad we made the decision to go there. It was perfectly hot that day, something that everyone enjoyed. Our hat team played extremely well that day. I have to say that I enjoy, and play better when I play mixed ultimate. I don't know why...Nonetheless, our team did not win this tournament. All star from our men's team James Hron and hotty with a body Jess Haller from SOL were on the same team, and played in the championship game. However, they lost. All in all this day was incredibly exhausting and the real tournament had not even started yet. I had copious amounts of fun during the hat tournament and is an awes way to meet cool people. These should be held more often.

We head back home for our first theme night: Hawaiian! Most took it easy this night....I'm going to point my fingers at Isaac on this one. I also want to mention Isaac does not play ultimate for our teams, but is rather Robyn's roommate and possibly the funniest ultimate groupie anyone could really ask for.

Tuesday morning: first real day of the tournament. Our team was ranked pretty low coming into this whole thing, little did many teams know that we came to bust ass and start some commotion. We took Vassar B 13-0, Smith B 13-0, and Rowan 13-2. Our second game was an intense game for us against Colorado State. As SOL struggled to keep a consistent flow, we finally figured out our shit and won 12-10. The first half of this day was the only time during the whole ultimate filled week that it was remotley cloudy or cold. During our two hour bye this day, SOL huddled and cuddled for some nap time, and watching open time. How Anna found the fetal position in a camping chair comfortable, I'll never know. Our men's team came and supported us the second half of our day, sporting their green St. Patricks Day attire. The evening was taken up a notch from the previous one, as people's rowdiness levels kicked in in order to celebrate this spectacular patron saint of Ireland. DOING DISCS? Alright so when it comes to disc, there is one, and only one person that can do it better than anyone I know. Our very own handler, Miss Shannon Abbott holds a record of 43 seconds. I KID YOU NOT. However, this was meerly a rumor or stupid joke to me at first. Many of us needed proof. As people assembled their teams , everyone gathered around like giddy leprechauns not knowing what to expect. Shannon finishes in 52 seconds. So, there are teams of 4 freaking people that can't even finish a disc that fast. What the fuck right? I swear she is pulling some David Blaine shit on us, but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt right now. I'm watching you Shannon.

Good thing we all had games at 8 am the next day! I think Scotty from the men's team was unable to play. Too much zombie rage. I don't think I've seen a team dance as much as SOL does. Don't get me wrong, there are certainly teams out there with some respectable moves, but I feel we dance almost as much as we play ultimate. I know I do. If you know me, I sometimes like to combine both. As we roll in that morning, we start off the day again by dancing to obnoxious songs with obnoxious moves. We sort of fueled ourselves that week from early morning gyrating. I think it worked. On a more ultimate related note..it is now Wednesday, and we played Smith A, Macalaster, and Minnesota-Duluth. With some swift movement of the disc, an awesome zone defense, and great puts by our players, we won each game 13-2. I reunited with my long lost friend from my hometown of Orono, Neal Hanke who now plays for Iowa State. I must say he does like to heckle that Paula Meyer of our team, but I think she loves it and pretty much is asking for it with all the wicked attire she wears during our games. I'm sure he wants her to, no big deal though. The best part was that we were done by noon. Now what??!! Our convoy headed back to the houses and proceeded to chill on the beach, lay on the front lawn, play games, eat food, relax, you know, all the fun lazy stuff you do on spring break.

That evening was our ghetto night.... Much of the usual forgetful festivities went on, this may or may not have been the night the deck of "I've Never" cards got whipped out. Nonetheless, I learned a lot about Tim and Veronica, who were sitting right next to eachother, sometimes the same time..and sometimes not. I learned a lot about many members of both teams that I think I will have to leave at that.

Robyn will have to update about how the rest of this night went..for her and some other folk traveled down a couple blocks to where the Rutgers were staying...
((Robyn's post-edit: So I get a text from my hat tourney teammate to come check out the fun at the Rutgers house. I round up some SOLmates, and walk into a room full of guys. We sit down, and jump right in to some fun and games. Of course we represent. There were some, um...events, that will be un-named for the time being *cough, cough* Matt Dassow *cough, cough* but sure did make for some good spring break memories. We roll in late, and Brit and I sit outside in the most uncomfortable chairs to talk about life and ultimate...well the they are two in the same for us. When the alarm goes off early the next day, we are rather tired and happily welcome the early AM dance session in the parking lot to wake ourselves up))

Thursday was our final day of ultimate on Jekyll Island. All of us were feeling the last couple days, and playing pretty well regardless of how we felt. Our first game vs. Princeton was a bit shaky. This team only had about 9 players but were keeping up with us all day. We were very surprised at their endurance and at the way they played their game. Not sure what the score was however (not posted on the UPA like all our other games wtf?) so, I know we played our game and came out on top. Next was a rematch vs. Minnesota-Duluth winning 13-0 to go into the championship game vs. Iowa State. It has been a bajillion years since we played Iowa State last, but we knew our games we won versus them before were not easy. A decent breeze was blowing this day, and we used all the zone we could. This teams transitions were sick and their handler Gibs was making D's all day. We were pretty shocked at how much we needed to pick it up when the score was 3-12, us down. We refocused our strategy and with some serious sideline help we came back with 4 points at the end and, were having fun, and played real SOL ultimate. Unfortunately it wasn't soon enough and and they finally brought their last point down ending the game 7-13, Iowa State. Those girls have gotten priiiitty clutch over their season so superior region should stay on their toes. All in all we were satisfied about our second place victory and learned a lot and improved from five straight days of ultimate. Alas, it was time to take off our cleats, give our skin a rest from all the sun and sweat, and enjoy the rest of spring break.

Thursday night was the night to celebrate. This was our formal evening where the most attractive mens and womens teams of all time join forces and celebrate by grilling out...except for myself and a few others. Lamest move we could have pulled, but the tired issue at this point was outrageous. OF COURSE my trusty fellow blogger Robyn will recap on the rest of the night, for she was there. And tells it, oh, so well.
((Robyn's post edit: I ended up hanging out with Isaac, Chris Schasse, and Alex Engel (from Milwaukee) on the beach for a bit. We went on a walking adventure. My feet got attacked by cacti. I almost punched Isaac for leading me into a cactus patch...we went on some more walking. Ended up at the Rutgers house, where I was informed that I was with a legend: Mr. James Hron, himself. Everyone wanted to hang with James Hron. He was the man. Everyone on every team was like, "HEY! Are you the guy with the red bandanna?" He got lots of free stuff from everyone. He "befriended" a 1, and got lost again. But he was back at home when Charlie and Skibs went over to the other house, after raiding our fridge for sandwiches.))

I do remember being woken up in the middle of the night by Charlie Randall coming into my room asking why I wasn't awake and why I wasn't doing anything. My response is simply.."because its 4 in the morning Charlie.." Charlie comes back with.."WRONG! its 5 in the morning Martha!"

.............alright Charlie you got me. I had to literally kick him until he left. As I fell back asleep I heard him and Hron arguing about who made out with who, that turned into ultimate talk, which turned into rustle and tumble in the hallway, which finally died down into what I hope was Charlie tucking Hron in.

Now we are getting to the good stuff. Friday is the day SOLzone heads to Savannah, Georgia. The town full of testy townies, ghost tours, and no law against open containers. Cigars were purchased by men, while the women hustled to the oh so awesome candy shop. I could not believe my eyes at this shop. Cole and Heather rushed to make purchases of taffy and preline, along with others who were stocking up a bit less. This place had the BEST praline samples I've had in my entire life. Enough said. Gelato and other goodies were consumed as we all met up by the bay. Back to that whole law about you can totally drink on the streets of Savannah. Well, that is exactly what of agers proceeded to do. Wet Willies-the COOLEST margarita/daiquiri bar of all time. The wall behind the bar was covered in pull down dispensers of flavors such as "Call-a-Cab". Tim spilled his drink on the dirty street, but because it was 8 dollars, he could not let it go to waste. He took his straw to the sadly spilled rita-mess and began to suck.

SO after some sipping on excessive amounts of margaritas, chilling in the streets, bonding, telling stories of memories past, jumping over one another, and taking silly photographs, listening to a man play guitar and sing with his crazy voice, we finally head to a restaurant for a team dinner. Now, things could have possibly taken a turn for the worse when the beer sampler was purchased by a couple members in our group. Fear not, people shared their samples and chaos was..well, MAD chaos was avoided. Everyones food was down right delicious. One thing worth mentioning: Tracie and Shannon are crazy. Also, Tracie has the best facial expressions on the planet. Overall, our dinner experience was rowdy and amazing. We ate, made funny faces, made new friends, and the best part was that it was only 8 o'clock.

Our group now split up into two, one on a ghost tour and the others who wanted to explore Savannah. Myself, Robyn, Cole, fellow Eauzone members, Matt Dassow and Alex Kensgaard, Chris McCrory, Eric Wallendal, Charlie Randall (who did I miss? did I add someone who should not have? sorry..) stayed behind and returned to Wet Willies for more and a wide open dance floor. After attempting to tear it up on this floor, we wander the streets looking for anything happening. Of course it is still too early for things to start up, and we had to meet our group at eleven. Things went a little wrong near the end, for one van lost its keys, and the other was locked in a parking ramp all night. Few hours later..we all made it home in one piece. Go team.

And so the long journey home began after cleaning both houses to make it look like we had never entered either. Chris and I played Zelda:Ocarina of Time the whole ride home unless we were sleeping.

So, I'm sure I skipped a lot, but maybe that is a good thing. This is long and could potentially bore many. I think Robyn and I are getting too much of a kick out of this though. Anyway, SOL was then off to Austin, Texas for some Centex action after a 4 day daze of trying to do school work after break, but preparing to get in the car for another ridiculous drive. BOOM. Peace out girl scout-(Brit Gartner)

Martha

No comments:

Post a Comment